Navigation

My Japanese Coach: Lesson XX, Kana VI (Katakana K, S & M)


Lesson Twenty: Kana 6
Are you ready for more katakana? I know I am! This time I’ll be covering the K, S, and M characters.
Remember how the K and S characters can use the dakuten to make different sounds? It’s the same for katakana! Do you remember what sounds they become?
The K turns into a G, and the S into a Z.
Let’s get going then! Here are the katakana K characters.
ka
ki
ku
ke
ko

And these are the katakana S characters.
sa
si
su
se
so

The M characters can’t use the dakuten or handakuten. There’s one less thing to worry about!
ma
mi
mu
me
mo

No point in just rushing through! Let’s get some practice writing them out!
GAME: Fading characters
A little more practice never hurt.
GAME: Write cards
Only two more lessons on katakana and you’ll be all finished with learning kana! If you haven’t switched over to kana instead of romaji, I highly recommend that you do.